Thursday, February 03, 2011

Day 30. Self + ten things


Or more than 10, as it happens. I wasn’t paying attention

Also, I'm missing two of the days that stumped me a bit. I'll use the next couple of days to finish those. And to make a new list and start another 30 days or something.

  • Thing 1. Going with the flow is cool, but it better not mess with my morning ritual.
  • Thing 2. In honour of my old favourite colour, violet/lavender, I just bought a light purple dress. It’s really cute.
  • Thing 3. My favourite realization is that imprisonment and commitment are the same thing, but from different perspectives. Since then, I’ve never felt stuck or imprisoned by anything.
  • Thing 4. My ideal work has all of these: Challenge, community, creativity, freedom. There used to be another one, but I can’t remember it. I have all of these in my work now.
  • Thing 5. I bite my nails. I know: Ew. I think it’s the grossest thing, but I’ve never not done it in my memory.
  • Thing 6. I like to take pictures. Every day. I don’t crave to be a better picture-taker.
  • Thing 7. I slightly envy people who have a group of friends that they’ve had since they were six.
  • Thing 8. I am so thankful for the colourful, vibrant people in my life. They are the coolest and make me not mind not having a cohesive family of friends since I was six.
  • Thing 9. I grew up in the suburbs, but I still feel like I came from the ‘hood. My mom does that too.
  • Thing 10. I’m pretty sure that I have an addictive streak. For this reason and many others, I’m very happy I’ve never done heroine.
  • Thing 11. I used to be convinced that my sister and I grew in the same womb at the same time and that my parents pretended we weren’t twins so that we could more easily cultivate our own personalities. My sister thought so too, but we also thought that we were probably abducted by aliens when there was an eighties craze about extra-terrestrials. I’m still not sure either way.
  • Thing 12. This photo challenge has been a good project each day. It was a wonderful focusing for my mind and my heart. I think I’ll do it again.
  • Thing 13. I really, really love an ice-cold dry gin (Bombay) martini, with olives or a twist, depending on the day.
  • Thing 14. Looks like I’ve begun to collect frogs. (Against my better judgment.) (And not on purpose.) (Just that frogs apparently look really cute in statue form and doing yoga postures.) (And generous people have given me now three.)
  • Thing 15. What are you supposed to do with your face in a self-portrait anyway? I didn’t know so took this photo, urgently, with my mittens off for a split second on the coldest day ever. It’s a reflection in one of those super shiny buildings downtown. I love downtown.

1 comment:

adventuress said...

love you! what a great cold portrait :) and number 11 is the best bit of knowledge i learned about you!